Click here to see all groundwater related videos on TheWaterChannel
Collective Action in Groundwater Management in Yemen
The video showcases an example of community-run groundwater management system. Faced with increased scarcity of water an declining groundwater tables, the village of Wadi Dhella (Hamdan, Sana'a) responded by putting their house in order themselves-- by setting minimum distances between wells; connecting wells through shared pipeline network and investing in groundwater recharge. The approach has brought about much improvement in the situation. The community has even been able to develop and successfully run its own piped drinking water supply.
The video is first in a series called 'Building on Practice,' documenting case studies in local water management from Yemen. (Watch Arabic version)
Featured videos (by topic)
- Scavenger Well
- Vermont Becomes First State to Ban Natural Gas Fracking
- Fluorosis Bends Rural Gujarat at the Knees
- Injected Water, Protected Water
Artificial Recharge of Groundwater Sources
- Banking water in Prince Albert
- The Bhungroo (Straw)- An intervention for water logging and irrigation in saline soils
Politics and governance of groundwater
- How does conflict affect groundwater potential?
- (Video Series) Groundwater security in Yemen: The critical role of local communities