Water Rights and Water Conflicts
September 13, 2016 at 11:00 GMT.
Frank van Steenbergen (MetaMeta)
Whereas land rights in most countries are systematically recorded, water rights are not. This makes them more open to capture and abuse by powerful interests. This webinar organized by the Spate Irrigation Network Foundation, EPSRO and UNESCO-IHE explores the link between water rights in various situations and the practice of monopolizing the use of water. Based on the Codification of Water Rights Research in Afghanistan, supported by NWO, it discusses the added value of registering water rights in the same way as land rights are being recorded - with special emphasis on flood based farming systems.
- Webinar Presentation: "Water Rights Water Conflicts" by Frank van Steenbergen
- Project information: Codifying water Rights in Afghanistan and Pakistan
- Training materials on Spate-Irrigation
- Document: Guidance Note Water Rights Codification
- Document: Water Right and Codification Experience from Pakistan and elsewhere