Webinar: How to boost water productivity in Africa: Smart Water for Agriculture
April 24, 2018
Abraham Mehari and Jackline Muturi, SWA
Across much of Africa, water is getting scarce, agricultural output is plummeting, and farm incomes declining. As farmers find themselves in a situation where they NEED to use water more product, it is as good a time as any other to promote water productive technologies. This is the need of the hour, as well as an opportunity to make a systemic shift in how we farm that will equip us for a future where water scarcity is only going to increase.
The ‘Smart Water for Agriculture’ (SWA) project (2016-2019) has been identifying water productive technologies most relevant to Kenya, promoting them among small and medium farmers, and helping build up the sector by bringing together different stakeholders. All in all, the project aims to increase water productivity by 20% for 20,000 farmers.
At this webinar, Abraham Mehari Haile and Jackline Muturi, members of of the SWA project core team, shared the successes, and lessons learnt in course of its implementation so far. And what insights they offer into what it will take to boost water productivity and in Africa at large.
- Download webinar presentation: http://thewaterchannel.tv/http://thewaterchannel.tv/wp-content/uploads/archive/images/swawebinar.pdf
- Fact sheet Smart Water for Agriculture Project: http://www.snv.org/public/cms/sites/default/files/explore/download/swa_fact_sheet_snv.pdf
- Smart Water for Agriculture website: http://www.snv.org/project/smart-water-agriculture
- Drought An Opportunity for Change: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqfa3uRohLc
- Smart water for Agriculture: Farmer case study: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nKGh36Q4k0