Kick-off Meeting Water Productivity
March 2nd, 2017 @ MetaMeta Wageningen
On March 2nd, an informative session on Water Productivity was held in Wageningen. We look back to a successful gathering with more than 50 people from NGOs, companies and governmental organizations.
The meeting was intended to give participants information on water productivity, its embedding in the Dutch policy, and its implementation through a number of “smart solutions” from various companies in the water and agricultural sector.
The evening was divided into three parts. The introduction was given by Peter Prince of NWP to jointly tackle the Dutch objective to increase water productivity in agriculture by 25%. Wim Bastiaanssen of UNESCO-IHE dived deeper into the theme and highlighted the FAO database where satellite data is used to monitor water productivity in agriculture.
During the second part of the evening four companies gave a glimpse into their technologies and strategies they developed to increase crop yields with lower water consumption. During the final part, participants were invited to discuss their ideas with two innovation funds under the program “Smart Water for Agriculture” in Kenya and the “Blue Gold Program” in Bangladesh. This meeting was also the kickoff of a series of thematic master classes to be held in the period from March to June.
Many newly established contacts and discussions arose reflecting its value for the Netherlands taking its role in improving water productivity in agriculture.
All presentations can be downloaded below. A summary of the evening was published in the NWP newsletter of March 10, 2017 (in Dutch).
- Event Program
- Water productivity by Wim Bastiaanssen, UNESCO-IHE
- Smart Irrigation for soil and water productivity by Arie-Jan Broere, Broere Beregening
- Water productivity: from monitoring to improvement by Gijs Simons, Future Water
- Water buffering with waterpads by Simon Chevalking, MetaMeta
- Optimalisation of potatoes in China and Europe through soil moisture sensors and smart dashboard by Peter Raatjes, RMA
- Innovation fund: Smart Water for Agriculture by Abraham Mehari Haile, MetaMeta
- Innovation fund: Blue Gold Programme by Hero Heering, Euroconsult Mott MacDonald